What types of allowances are in the Netherlands for individuals, families or self-employed?

The Dutch government provides various types of allowances for residents and non-residents in the Netherlands. The benefit system is designed to support people with low incomes by helping them cover basic costs such as rent, health insurance, day care, unemployment, maternity pay, etc. The 2022 allowances are explained below:


  1. Zorgtoeslag (Health insurance allowance)

The health insurance allowance is a help to the monthly payment of Dutch health insurance. The requirements to apply are as follows: You must be at least 18 years old at the time of submitting the application, you must be paying for Dutch health insurance independently or through the company you work for in the Netherlands, you may or may not be a resident resident, your annual income must be less than 31,998 euros per year. If you have a fiscal partner, the annual salary of both cannot exceed 40,994 euros per year. You can receive a maximum of up to 111.32 euros per month, depending on your income (reference 2022)

– You do not need the Digid for us to request it for you. If at any time any of the requirements change, we must inform the Allowance department to avoid re-calculations that are sometimes not in your favor.

– It is not a requirement to use or not have used health insurance, only the aforementioned requirements are considered.

– Use your insurance if you need it!, since it will not be an impediment when applying for the allowance.

  1. Huurtoeslag (Rent allowance)

The rent allowance is a help to the rental costs of your home, one of the requirements is that the rent may not exceed 763.47 euros of rent including services (electricity, water, etc). If you are a resident and you are under 23 years of age, you can apply for the subsidy. 

It can only be applied if the rent does not exceed 442.46 euros, otherwise, it is the amount that was mentioned at the beginning. You must not have very high savings, that is, each resident must have a maximum of 31,747 euros as of January 1, 2022. If you have a subsidy partner (person who is registered at the same address) they may jointly have assets of a maximum of 63,494 euros at 1 January 2022.

Other requirements: Have the nationality of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland or need a valid residence permit or work permit. You are 18 years of age or older. Independent accommodation for rent.

3. WW uitkering (Unemployment salary)

If you have been working in the Netherlands for at least 26 of the last 36 weeks and will soon be unemployed, you may be entitled to unemployment salary. You can request the salary from 1 week before your first day that you are unemployed. During the first 2 months you are unemployed, the gross unemployment salary is 75% of your last salary. After that, your profit is 70%. You are entitled to minimum wage unemployment for 3 months or more. The exact duration of your unemployment wages depends on your total work history and when you became unemployed. In general, they give you 1 month of unemployment for each full year of work.

4. Bijstandsuitkering (Welfare benefit or living wage)

If you are temporarily unemployed, have little money to live in the country and are not entitled to other help, such as unemployment salary, then you can apply for social assistance benefit.  

5. Stap budget (Study payment benefit)

An important change was made in the income tax 2022, from this year it will not be possible to deduct study expenses in the income tax, so now people who are employees, self-employed or are looking for a job, They can apply for the study benefit. The maximum amount of the subsidies is 1000 euros per year. Every 2 months a new application period begins (January, March, May, July, September, November). You can apply for benefit for Dutch language studies, among other studies.


Source: Toeslagen


1. Kinderopvangtoeslag (Daycare Allowance)

If your children go to daycare, you can receive an allowance or help with the costs you incur for daycare. It can be requested if you use a kindergarten (kinderopvang) with a registration number (LKR), also you and your partner work (it does not necessarily have to be a stable job) or if you are self-employed or are following an integration course (inburgeringscursus) or a return-to-work program (traject naar werk) or are pursuing an accredited education course (regular high school, MBO, HBO, University, ROC, Vavo, PhD), volunteer jobs do not count. In other words, if you cannot take care of your child every day, due to the aforementioned activities, and you and your child are registered at the same address or, in the case of divorced parents, you must have the child equally, you can request the subsidy. The amount of allowance you will receive depends on the hours you work, the type of daycare, and how many hours you use the daycare.

2. Kindgebonden Budget (Budget for childrens)

The children’s budget is an aid to the expenses of your children up to the age of 18. This budget also depends on the income as a couple. You must not have a capital greater than 120,020 euros as a single person and 151,767 euros as a couple as of January 1, 2022.

3. Kinderbijslag (Family allowance)

The family allowance depends on the age of your child. This amount increases when the child turns 6 and increases again when the child turns 12. The family subsidy is transferred at the end of each quarter (January, April, July and October). For example, as of January 1st, 2021, for children from 0 to 5 years old, the amount of 249.31 euros is paid, children from 6 to 11 years old are paid the amount of 302.74 euros, for adolescents from 12 to 17 years old, the amount of 356.16 euros is paid. .


1. Zelfstandig en Zwanger (Subsidy for self-employed and pregnant businesswomen)

If you are self-employed and pregnant, you can apply for maternity allowance for a period of at least 16 weeks, the same rules apply for the length of leave as a regular employee. It can be requested 6 to 4 weeks before the day after the due date.

2. Studies (Stap budget)

An important change was made in the 2022 income tax return, from this year it will not be possible to deduct study expenses in the income tax return, so now people who are employees, self-employed or are looking for a job, They can apply for the study subsidy. The maximum amount of the subsidies is 1000 euros. Every 2 months a new application period begins (January, March, May, July, September, November).

IMPORTANT NOTE: After the allowance has been approved, if you have any change in your income during the year, change in day care, etc., this change must be reported immediately, so that in this way the allowance that was granted is correct. As long as you meet the requirements, you can keep the allowance on an ongoing basis.

We have more than 10 years of experience.

Advisors specializing in tax treaties and specialized in Dutch tax matters.

We have the first online platform in English, where the client can review their information and declarations sent to the Belastingdienst

Patricia Santa Cruz
Tax Advisor

PSM Consultancy, an online tax services in English, specializes in providing income tax and VAT services for individuals and the self-employed, in addition to making requests for subsidies in the Netherlands.